Steve Thomas specializes in business structuring, venture capital raises, secured and unsecured financings, corporate governance, and mergers and acquisitions for domestic and foreign business entities (both “for profit” and “non-profit”).
He has served as general outside counsel for private and public reporting companies, attends board meetings and assists in the development of management, personnel, acquisition, and divesture strategies.
He led a team of attorneys to assist a large media group in successfully consolidating its internal ownership, implementing a national acquisition strategy, initiating an IPO, and structuring favorable public and private financing arrangements.
Mr. Thomas was also key in assisting a large automotive group owner in successfully consolidating its internal ownership and implementing a strategy of regional geographical consolidation.
He was instrumental in preparing and presenting a governance evaluation for a large international medical research company. His expertise was used to create new governance documents and procedures for a private educational institution that was preparing for its re-accreditation review and approval, management overhaul, and board restructure.
He was successful in leading a team of attorneys in the defense of politically motivated accusations and litigation against the management of a public company. He traveled to the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and successfully negotiated a joint venture agreement between Chinese and U.S. broadcast equipment manufacturers and assisted in the preparation of a joint bid through the World Bank for the delivery and placement of broadcast products in the PRC.
He traveled to West Africa on behalf of a U.S. company to successfully negotiate an agreement for the distribution and installation of broadcast equipment; and assisted a large private equity firm in the transition of ownership and management.
Financing, mergers and acquisition, choice of business entity, business governance, non-profits, real estate law, tax and succession planning, and compliance.
Founder and Managing Director at Thomas & Libowitz, P.A.:
Mr. Thomas is a Co-Founder and CEO of Thomas & Libowitz, P.A. He is involved in Strategic Planning, including business planning, marketing strategy, drafting and monitoring internal policies and procedures, personnel and financial management.
Areas of Legal Specialty:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Partnership & LLC Law
- Non-Profits (Formation and Management)
- Succession Planning
- Real Estate
Current Outside Activities:
Baltimore County Revenue Authority
October 2012 – Present Towson, Maryland
Oversee management and funding for Baltimore County public golf courses, public parking facilities, and town center development projects.
Greater Baltimore Medical Center
September 2002 – Present
- Healthcare Board Member
- Member of Finance Committee
- Member of Quality Committee
- Member of Foundation Committee
Honors & Awards:
- A Top Go-To Attorney in Maryland by SmartCEO Magazine in December 2008.
- One of Best Attorneys in U.S. by U.S News in September 2012.
- One of Baltimore’s Best Lawyers by SmartCEO December 2007.
- Named (several times) as a one of Baltimore’s “Smart Lawyers” and “Go To Attorneys” by SmartCEO Magazine.
- Received award and certificate from Calvert School for distinguished service as a Trustee.
- Elected to position of Secretary and appointed to the Executive Committee of The Calvert School on Baltimore Maryland while serving on it Board.
- Elected to position of Executive Vice President and appointed to the Executive Committee (and several other committees) of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center Foundation Board and Member of Finance and Quality Care Committees of the Healthcare Board.
- Appointed as a Committee member of the Maryland Bar Association International Law Section.
- Received a “Merit Award” from the Madison Recreational Council of Baltimore for work within and for this organization
- Named Mergers & Acquisitions Super Lawyer by Baltimore Magazine
- Named one of top 24 Corporate Attorneys in Baltimore City by Best Lawyers Business Edition, Winter 2016.